NiCK-NiCK-NiCK-NiCKNiCK-NiCK-NiCK-NiCK

Main Audio Reviews Stats 5 Fans

Pine Wood Erupts Into Flame Pine Wood Erupts Into Flame

hello! the track starts brilliantly: the ethereal pads and then the surprising moment when the beat drops in is fantastic. you established a really trippy angelic mood which i was really enjoying. unfortunately the weird guitar sample at 02:30 shattered the mood, which was bad because it's in there until the very end, and is completely at odds with everything else in the track. i think if you ditched the sample you'd have a great track.

JoelTownsend responds:

I listened to it with and without the guitar track several times before I uploaded it. Maybe I listened to it so many times with the guitar track that it sounds to me that something's missing without it. In any case, I'm sorry that you find it at odds with the rest of the song, but it doesn't sound wrong to me yet.

Bait Bait

Lovely vibes. Really enjoyed this track - absolutely hearing the bonobo and tycho influence, maybe a little four tet too? Only gripe is that the synth lead melody was too buried in the mix (too much compression for my taste), i would have liked it to really pop out and be the focal point of the track. In any case very happy to stumble across this one. well done!

PompYin responds:

Cheers NiCK, I still feel that mixing is one of my weaker points when it comes to production, I've had a tendency in the past just to go mad with the amount of sounds I'm using to keep things interesting inadvertently making 'swamp music' (Just a muddy mess really.)

Other than panning, eqing and compression are there any techniques you've learnt that have made a big difference to your mix downs?

Just listened to Stalagmite and it fills out really nice, really clear sounds, nothing clashing at all.

Puzzles Puzzles

Hey! This beat has a lot of potential - the bassline's awesome and the choppy chord thing is cool. I'd love to hear this developed into a full length song. I won't give you a 5 because essentially you've just got one verse here, but it looks like it could be a 5 :)